Thursday, January 25, 2007

Page gardening, part II



Recently purchased: excuse the blobby nature, I nabbed it from the web.

I'd been contemplating a coldframe greenhouse since I read this book a few years ago. (I read the book as a citydweller in a very cold climate so it shows how elaborate my January gardening plans tend to get.) Well, this is the year! After what seemed like an unending search for a simple structure, I found a manufacturer within a half hour from our house. And they'll ship the whole dang thing. Buy local!

SO. Yes, I would be more ahead of the game had I purchased this thing last fall, but hey, life has a way of getting in the way of one's dreams. A 14'x20' coldframe will soon be erected behind the icehouse (Tom's tractor shed). It'll face south, and have (8)3'x6' and (1)2'x14' raised beds in it. I will use it mainly for cold-season stuff all winter, and will put mainly root crops and some perennial veggies in it during the regular growing season.

I'm beyond excited. I am giddy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so envious! I too have the book. Bought it several years ago when I had the land to use, but no time. Now retired I have the time but no land. I'm holding on to the book - maybe, just maybe, I'll have a garden next season.

meresy_g said...

I'm giddy for you. How exciting!!! You'll be able to do so much more. Winter will be but a blink of your eye. You'll be practically gardening all year! I'm thinking of putting in a cold frame soon, but mine will just be a small one built into the ground with old windows as a cover. Take lots of pictures!

Dancingfarmer said...

WOW!! wish it where me.
How many others out there have read Elliot Coleman's book and fantasized about a cold frame/tunnel? Add me to the list! Maybe next year for me. Glad for you though. Besides, I don't get as cold here so you need it more than I do :-)

Unknown said...

Sweet.