Thursday, July 27, 2006

Transplants



Speaking of my Minneapolis garden, when we moved to Michigan I only hauled a few plants down with us. I think I limited myself to one 5-gal. bucket. Herbs like sorrel, oregano, tarragon, thyme and sage made the trip, as well as two perennials and one sickly-looking rhubarb plant. This is one of the three perennials, it's a rather floribundant rudbeckia. All the plants that I bothered to move had some kind of unusual provenance or happy memory attached to them; it was the ONLY way I could leave the hundreds of other plants behind. Not quite a Sophie's Choice kind of decision; rather, I gave in to some warm Minnesota sentiment.

This particular rudbeckia was a gift from someone with whom I have lost contact. It, like all the other plants and people, have transplanted well, and are thriving.

No comments: